Re: [elpa] externals/hyperbole c501027 2/2: Fix set-buffer byte-compiler

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/hyperbole c501027 2/2: Fix set-buffer byte-compiler warnings; remove outdated references
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 21:25:11 -0400

> Eli and I exchanged messages about this on the emacs-devel list and settled
> on the outer save-excursion as you first wrote below since it is indeed the
> original buffer whose point we want to save which may be manipulated by
> some subroutine deep within the with-current-buffer that changes the buffer
> back to the original.  Thanks as always for the pointers though.  -- Bob

That seems to point at a very unusual arrangement which you might want
(in the longer term) to reconsider, e.g. by moving the `save-excursion`
to the "deep within" place that actually moves the point in the "outer
buffer".

In the mean time, adding a comment explaining what's going on
(e.g. giving an example scenario where point would be moved unexpectedly
in the outer buffer)would go a long way.

Similarly for the

  (save-excursion
    (with-current-buffer (find-file-noselect (expand-file-name hbmap:filename
hbmap:dir-user))
      (save-excursion

in `gbut:ebut-program` because without an explanatory comment, this looks
like the kind of code you get when the author just "added
`save-excursion`s a bit at random until point stopped moving" ;-)

        Stefan