Re: Requirements for native-compile support

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Requirements for native-compile support
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 07:40:35 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Andrea,
>
> Do we need libgccjit only for compiling to *.eln, or do we also need
> it for loading and executing the *.eln files?
>
> IOW, if Emacs was built with libgccjit, but the library isn't
> available at run time, will Emacs still be able to load and run *.eln
> files that were produced elsewhere (assuming the native code is
> compatible with the platform where it will be run)?

We don't use libgccjit for loading elns file but we still have libgccjit
as a dependency because ATM Emacs may need to compile a trampoline if a
primitive is redefined or advised.  If it's important to support native
builds with no libgccjit available we should redesign this specific
mechanism.

Regards

  Andrea