Re: Rewriting make-docfile.c in Lisp?

From: Spencer Baugh
Subject: Re: Rewriting make-docfile.c in Lisp?
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 17:11:08 -0400

> Maybe if you described the change that motivates your proposal, we'd be
> less negative ;-)

Perhaps foolishly, I (experimentally) switched some existing uses of
DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER to a new variant with a new name, and then noticed
some test failures.  I tried to grep for "DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER" (and other
variations) to find what might be depending on the name of the macro but
didn't find anything, since make-docfile.c parses DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER one
character at a time with getc and so doesn't actually include the string
"DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER" anywhere.  Eventually I figured out that it was
make-docfile that wasn't picking up the new name for the
DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER macro.  So then I dug through scan_c_stream in
make-docfile.c to see what would be required to add support for the
DEFVAR_PER_BUFFER variant, but eventually gave up on understanding the
best way to inject my new macro name into the manually-unrolled tree of
getc-based parsing.