Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 19:43:14 +0300

On 04.05.2021 17:55, Manuel Uberti wrote:
On 04/05/21 16:16, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
The current behavior is to include the untracked files (unless they are in
.gitignore). And you can specify additional ignores through the
project-vc-ignores variable.

If that is not enough, please outline your usage scenario(s).

Sure, I'll try to explain myself better. I have Git-versioned projects where I
usually track an .envrc.sample file for everyone to use as a starting point on
their own machines. Developers are instructed to copy that file to a local
(i.e., untracked) .envrc file. Since there could (and usually will) be
information we don't want to be tracked on Git (e.g., one's own system-related
customizations), .envrc is listed in .gitignore.

Every now and then, I need to open that .envrc file and add something, but
because it is listed in .gitignore, the file doesn't show up in
project-find-file.

Aha! So you want to open an _ignored_ file (which is also untracked, of course).

There are two ways to solve this:

- Add "whitelisting" syntax to project-vc-ignores and the project-ignores method. Then you edit the value of this variable, whitelisting .envrc in the given project (or globally), and project-find-file will always include it.

- We add an arg like NO-PROJECT-IGNORES to the project-files method. Then project-find-file could use it in (some?) circumstances.

What helm-ls-git offers is the possibility to hit C-c i and showing the
untracked files.

Patches or even plain suggestions welcome for the GUI side of this, at least. I'm not sure how to add a behavior like this on 'C-c i' to the default completing-read interface, which is what project-find-file ultimately calls (and can dispatch to alternative UIs like Ivy)

We can add this behavior when a prefix argument is used (like
C-u C-x p f'), but that's no dynamic switching.