Re: [ELPA] New package: company-eudc

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: company-eudc
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 19:54:21 -0400

>>> I would kindly like to propose my new package company-eudc.el for
>>> inclusion into ELPA. Here is an excerpt from the package's home page at
>>> https://github.com/condition-alpha/company-eudc :
>>
>> I like this functionality, but:
>> - Why not add this directly to the EUDC code in Emacs itself?
> I did propose it to the company maintainers, but it didn't fall on
> fertile ground there.

Hmm... not sure I understand.  I was proposing to add it to the EUDC
code in Emacs (e.g. `eudc.el`), not to the Company package.

>> - Why make it a Company backend instead of a CAPF function (since
>>   Company knows how to use CAPF functions as well)?
>> [...]
> That's one of the next things on my to-do list. ;-)

I think it would make a lot of sense to add such a CAPF directly to
`eudc.el`, and then to hook it into `message.el`.

I must admit, I don't know where `company-eudc-expand-inline` would end
up in that scenario, tho :-(

We could add a config var to control whether EUDC should be queried in
by default in `message-mode`, and we could easily add a command that
runs `completion-at-point` with EUDC's new CAPF enabled, but it would be
odd to run `company-begin-backend` from Emacs core code.  I guess we
could have a command that either runs `completion-at-point` or
`company-begin-backend` depending on a config var (e.g. whether
`company-mode` is enabled), but it would be nicer to make it work with
other completion UIs, like `corfu-mode`.

        Stefan