Re: On the stability of Xref

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: On the stability of Xref
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 00:24:52 +0300

Hi Philip,

On 22.04.2021 12:57, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

I wanted to ask what the consensus is on the stability of the Xref
interface. xref.el starts with the unsettling warning

         ;; NOTE: The xref API is still experimental and can change in major,
         ;; backward-incompatible ways.  Everyone is encouraged to try it, and
         ;; report to us any problems or use cases we hadn't anticipated, by
         ;; sending an email to emacs-devel, or `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

that scares some people away from using the mode (see for example [0]).

Looking at the discussion, that sounded more like a justification than the real reason, but...

git blame tells me that that this note was added more than 5 years ago,
and I'm not sure how much has changed in the interface since then.

...it's high time to remove it anyway. And I have now done so.

At the same time, several external packages have implemented the Xref
interface, including the aforementioned dumb-jump, that is among the
most used packages on MELPA[1]. Eglot and lsp-mode both implement the
interface as is.

Since a number of highly visible packages rely on it, the changes need to be done more carefully already, and if I we ever get around to doing a major redesign/rewrite, it would probably be better incubated as an external package. In GNU ELPA, at least.

Thanks for the reminder,
Dmitry.