Re: Finding the dump (redux)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Finding the dump (redux)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 19:06:03 +0300

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Ali Bahrami <ali_gnu2@emvision.com>
> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 09:43:46 -0600
>
> The idea is to get the pdump data into the executable, not
> by unexec-like methods, but as a simple C array, compiled
> by the C compiler, and linked into emacs like a normal
> object.

This has been considered back when the portable dumping ideas were
discussed.  One reason why it was rejected is because it would require
end users to have a C development toolchain if they want to re-dump
Emacs (with some of their own code added).  Support for re-dumping is
a goal in Emacs development, and although we are not there yet, doing
something that would prevent it is a non-starter.  We want users to be
able to re-dump Emacs using just Emacs and nothing else.