Re: Finding the dump (redux)

From: Ali Bahrami
Subject: Re: Finding the dump (redux)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 07:04:20 -0600

On 4/19/21 2:35 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Name the pdumper file emacs-FINGERPRINT.pdmp (where FINGERPRINT is the
hex string of the unique fingerprint).  Then the file can be put in a
fixed, shared directory without conflicts, and there is no need to use
an elaborate search strategy.

I like this answer a lot, but it does present a different
sort of problem.

One of the things I do, in preparing a new emacs
for deployment, is to create a manifest listing every
file that the package delivers. We rebuild the emacs
packages constantly, but the manifest only needs to be
updated when updating to a new emacs.

I assume that the fingerprint changes each time emacs is
built? That complicates the manifest, since it would have
to be modified each time that happens. The package building
process would need to get the fingerprint out of emacs
and update the manifest list on every build. I'm sure there
are solutions to that, but it seemed worth noting, since
people might find files with continually changing names
difficult to deal with.

- Ali