Re: Represent NTP's origin time

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Represent NTP's origin time
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 17:27:36 +0200

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 04:55:14PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de writes:
> > I replied (or so I thought) "in kind". A better reply would have
> > been: Emacs supports 32 bit platforms. Unless ending 32 bit
> > support is in the near-future, it'd be a good idea to think about
> > how to support a wider (possibly 64 bit) time_t even on a 32 bit
> > Emacs.
>
> The support for 64bit time_t on 32bit platforms is quite old by now
> actually, but it hasn't seen as much uptake as initially envisioned for
> whatever reasons.  So in effect those platforms have announced their EOL
> and you should move off them.
>
> > The *BSDs and Linux (beyond kernel 5.6ish) do support 64 bit time_t
> > in their 32 bit variants: perhaps this is an orientation.
>
> I have no 32bit system left that can run a modern enough Linux kernel
> and doesn't also support 64bit, so once I update those will not be 32bit
> anymore.

Again. The fact that *you* haven't doesn't mean that others are
in the same boat. A maintainer's job involves exactly that kind
of deliberation :)

(I'd bet that Stefan's hardware is still 32 bit :)

So basically it reduces to whether the Emacs project wants to
support 32 bit systems (currently, the answer seems to be "yes")
and what to do about time_t when yes.

Cheers
 - t