Re: Getting ready to land native-compilation on master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Getting ready to land native-compilation on master
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 20:10:42 +0300

> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 17:48:11 +0300
> Cc: akrl@sdf.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On 14.04.2021 17:37, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Ah, overlong lines in_docstrings_...  Yes, that's known, but why not
> > fix this issue in the first place?  I get the same warning when
> > byte-compiling with Emacs 28, so this is not new with the
> > native-compile branch.
>
> I guess the issue is that native compilation happens after the package
> is installed, so the warnings come basically out of the blue.

I was originally annoyed by this, but eventually concluded that it's
all part of the automatic background compilation, something we didn't
have before.  I think with time people will get used to it, and the
surprise will go away.  And if someone is really annoyed, they can
always disable automatic background compilation altogether.

I tend to think that turning warnings off is not a good idea, for the
same reasons we don't by default turn off byte-compilation warnings.
But we will cross this bridge when we come to it.