Re: Why does Gnus article-moving act like a fetch of new news?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Why does Gnus article-moving act like a fetch of new news?
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 01:02:44 -0500

On 10 Apr 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
I expected article-moving to be an entirely local operation, and to have nothing to do with fetching new news. After all, Gnus already has the article in question -- it's not "new".
What if the destination group has been updated in the mean time? Gnus needs to know the current status of the group, before it can write to it.

But what if it gets updated *again* before we actually write to it?

Also, in this case, it's updated *after* the article is moved to it.

Yeah, that's the thing that puzzles me. By this point, the article has already been moved to the destination group. There can't be (I think?) any justification for fetching new news to the destination group right then. The user certainly hasn't asked for that to happen.

(Sorry for the strange formatting in my original couple of posts, by the way. I was experimenting with `use-hard-newlines' in Message Mode, but I now see how that doesn't quite do the right thing in prose messages that contain code-like blocks interleaved with the regular paragraphs. I've started using the helpful `messages-are-flowing' package while I ponder how best to solve this.)

Best regards,
-Karl