Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 19:48:25 -0400

> Mind you, I generally prefer completion UIs that show the options before you
> start typing, but xref-show-definitions-completing-read makes a really
> strong case for it. Which is unfortunate, because otherwise it's my #1
> choice for xref-show-definitions-function's default value, and changing
> Emacs's completion UI is not in the cards in any near future.
>
> So I would only be happy if you disagree with this assessment.

I think it would be desirable to change the default UI just enough so
that a code like Xref can make `completing-read` display the
completions eagerly.

One thing we can already do is to make Xref use a completion category
with an entry in `completion-category-defaults` which specifies a value
of t for `completion-cycle-threshold`.  This way a simple TAB should
select the first entry.

        Stefan