Re: Getting ready to land native-compilation on master

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Getting ready to land native-compilation on master
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 19:08:17 +0000

"Jens C. Jensen" <jens@subst.net> writes:

>> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>> Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 17:02:15 +0300
>> Cc: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>
>> AFAICT, we are quite ready to land this important feature.
>
> This is great news!
>
> I've been on the branch for several months now with no major issues,
> the only oddity I've found was that natively-compiled elisp are subrs
> (as Pip already mentioned), which messed up my syntax highlighting.

Hi Jens,

native compiled Lisp shares with primitives many aspects including for
instance calling conventions, OTOH this is just other native code we can
execute.  Because of that felt natural to me to have these functions as
another kind of subr (also some of the internal implementation was
consequentially shared).  IOW in the current implementation they are
really (slightly special) subrs.

I guess you have already figured that out but you can distinguish them
with `subr-native-elisp-p'.

> A big Thank-You to Andrea for the great work getting this far!

You are welcome :)

> P.S. Is Andreas website on gccemacs[1] the proper place to get in-depth
> information about the implementation? It feels more like a change-log.
>

> [1] https://akrl.sdf.org/gccemacs.html

Well, ATM as Eli mentioned, documentaiton is something a little lacking,
certanly in my dev blog some datastructure and mechanisms are
described/justified.  Other than that you might want to have a look to:

<https://zenodo.org/record/3736363>
<https://toobnix.org/videos/watch/1f997b3c-00dc-4f7d-b2ce-74538c194fa7>
<https://toobnix.org/videos/watch/b985c5ca-fdcf-46ff-92d5-e68922fe4821>

ATM to go further I think the approach would be dumping passes and/or
starting to look into the source code.  I tried my best to share with
the community what I was working on and how but is not the easiest when
the thing is being worked.

Thanks!

  Andrea