Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 14:56:48 +0200

On Wed, Apr 07 2021, Gregory Heytings wrote:
I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure I understand what the real
difference between "completing" and "selecting" is.  Do I understand
correctly that the difference is between, for example, expanding command names
(completing), and choosing an emoji in a list (selecting)?

Yeah, I don't get it either. If I'm completing a command name, I can also say
that I'm selecting a command name from all available command names. Or when I'm
completing a file name, I'm selecting a file from all the files on my system.

I agree with both of you. I also don't see a significant difference between `completing-read' and a potential `selecting-read'. However, the `completing-read' API could benefit from a few small improvements as I proposed in my other mail. Given all the experience gained one may consider introducing a `completing-read2' which incorporates all the lessons learned and offers an API, which is a bit easier to use. But maybe the costs would outweigh the benefits and applying incremental improvements is actually the better approach, see for example the recently added `affixation-function'.

Daniel Mendler