Re: cursor-intangible and rear-nonsticky t

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cursor-intangible and rear-nonsticky t
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 14:47:19 -0400

>>> I believe `comint-output-filter` is the one responsible for setting
>>> `rear-nonsticky t` across the entire prompt:
>>>
>>>         (let ((prompt-start (save-excursion (forward-line 0) (point)))
>>>               (inhibit-read-only t))
>>>           (add-text-properties prompt-start (point) '(rear-nonsticky t)))
>>
>> That's unfortunate.  Deserves a bug report, methinks.
>
> Will do.  Between that and the focus-grabbing on MacOS ports, plain old
> ‘intangible is looking better and better.

The problem above is easy to workaround until the problem is fixed
upstream (by overriding comint's `rear-nonsticky` property with your
own).  For the MacOS issue, I have no idea: maybe it'll be difficult to
workaround, or maybe it's specific to unusual setups (really, I'm at
pains to imagine how `cursor-intangible-mode` can cause the problems you
describe, so I'd tend to suspect an interaction with some wild-west
package doing dangerous things).

> It also doesn’t seem to care about over-generous application of
> ‘rear-nonsticky t.

It has its share of brokenness, don't worry ;-)

        Stefan