Re: Git master head build failure?

From: Daniel Brooks
Subject: Re: Git master head build failure?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 02:56:27 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> And second, we should simply make sure extraclean removes all the
> generated files, as documented, and keep it that way.  Looking into
> .gitignore means either building its interpreter into our build system
> (a non-trivial job, AFAIU), or using Git itself to do the job, which
> would mean the job cannot be done without Git -- a disadvantage, IMO.

There are external libraries that implement it, if anyone wants an
alternative or an inspiration. One example that I know of is the
MIT–licensed Rust crate “ignore”
(https://docs.rs/ignore/0.4.17/ignore/), but note that it only gives you
the files that aren’t ignored rather than all the ones that are.

It’s not all that complicated. In the end it boils down to repeated
application of a 30–line function, plus some parsing of course.
(https://docs.rs/globset/0.4.6/src/globset/glob.rs.html#159-186)

I would say that depending on Git for this doesn’t seem like too big of
a burden; anyone without git will be no worse off than before. Just
print a warning that mentions “git clean” and suggests installing git or
doing it by hand.

db48x