Re: Proposal for an emacs-humanities mailing list

From: Eli Zaretskii
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 18:02:48 +0200

> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:03:50 +1000
> From: "Paul W. Rankin" <pwr@skeletons.cc>
> Cc: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On 2020-11-30 15:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Do you really think this will work?  I don't, FWIW.  How can a group
> > of people not involved with development answer non-trivial questions,
> > suggest reporting useful bugs and feature requests etc.?  Even
> > help-gnu-emacs would not be the same without several developers
> > dwelling there.  Posting to emacs-devel is a slippery path to making
> > this new list a branch of the existing ones, something that this
> > initiative wants explicitly to avoid.  I'm probably missing something
> > here.
>
> There's no cause to worry. The three things you list -- non-trivial
> questions, bugs, and feature requests -- are already covered by the
> other lists, where diligent Emacs developers remain on guard. There
> exists a discussion scope outside of that scope.

Then I think this different scope should be somehow mentioned in the
list description.  Could you give some examples of what you envision
as good topics to discuss on this new list, and how they differ from
discussions on help-gnu-emacs or emacs-devel?  With such examples in
hand, we could try coming up with a better description, because what
you proposed is too similar to help-gnu-emacs.

One other thing is that the list will need a moderator, to handle the
small number of valid posts by those who aren't subscribers.  Would
you like to be the moderator, and if so, would you like the moderation
requests to arrive at the email address you used in this discussion?
If not, what other moderator address should I use?

Once we have these two aspects figured out, I will create the list.

Thanks.