Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 15:50:18 +0300

* Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> [2020-11-22 14:05]:

> Awhile ago I started a thread on rethinking the design of xwidgets, there
> was a lot of good discussion about the future of Emacs' rendering
> capabilities. It personally motivated me to try to better understand how
> Emacs' redisplay works and just overall better understand the C core of
> Emacs. As part of that exercise, I decided to see if I could port the
> existing xwidgets code into a dynamic module.

There are 2 types of questions for you, one group of questions if for
dynamic module emacs-webkit:

- is it possible to make sure from start of the session not to use
  Javascript?

- is it maybe possible at compile time to add an option
  --disable-javascript ?

- is there way during the session to surely disable javascript?

- it would be very nice if webkit dynamic module could bookmark
  hyperlink in such a way that it can be programmatically captured by
  using Emacs Lisp. For example by pressing B that users can capture
  both the TITLE and URL together and store it how they wish. You
  could provide standard function and one customizable function. That
  way users could store the TITLE and URL without reloading the page
  into database, or into Org file, or other system.

And some questions not related to the subject, rather to your skills
with dynamic modules:

Developers of emacs-libpq will soon contribute the dynamic module to
GNU ELPA that offers bindings to PostgreSQL and that enhances Emacs
greatly with possibilities. Related to that in GNU there is GDBM or
GNU database https://www.gnu.org/s/gdbm

I am just asking if you could think of programming the dynamic module
that offers to users Emacs interface to GDBM. This type of database is
much simpler and users most probably have it on their systems and it
can be used for business processes.

Reference to emacs-libpq @ Github
https://github.com/anse1/emacs-libpq