Re: mouse-face and help echo support for xterm mouse

From: Jared Finder
Subject: Re: mouse-face and help echo support for xterm mouse
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 22:46:32 -0800

Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 21:23:26 -0800
Cc: "Jared Finder via \"Emacs development discussions.\"" <emacs-devel@gnu.org> From: Jared Finder via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

All points addressed.  New patch attached.

Thanks.

* src/dispnew.c (update_mouse_position): New function for mouse movement
logic in 'handle_one_term_event' that can be shared across different
mouse backends.
(display--update-for-mouse-movement): New lisp function, call it.
* lisp/xt-mouse.el (xterm-mouse--handle-mouse-movement): New function that
calls 'display--update-for-mouse-movement'.
(xterm-mouse-translate-1): Call it.
* src/term.c (handle_one_term_event): Inline logic from
'term_mouse_movement' and call 'update_mouse_position'.
(term_mouse_movement): Delete.

Nitpicking: the lines in the change log are too long, they will
overflow 80 columns when indented by TABs (which happens when we
generate a ChangeLog file from Git log).  Please use one of the Emacs
commands available for generating ChangeLog entries, they will keep
you from making these mistakes.

Oops, sorry. I hand-verified each row was 72 or less characters just now. I will try to learn the Emacs commands for dealing with changelogs.

+      XSETFRAME(frame, f);
                  ^
Please leave a space before the opening parenthesis, to conform to our
coding conventsions.

Done.

+  update_mouse_position (XFRAME (selected_frame), XFIXNUM (mouse_x),
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A.k.a. SELECTED_FRAME().

Done.

 (defface mode-line-highlight
-  '((((class color) (min-colors 88))
+  '((((type graphic) (class color) (min-colors 88))
      :box (:line-width 2 :color "grey40" :style released-button))

I don't think I understand the rationale.  With TTYs supporting many
colors nowadays, and mode-line-highlight available on TTYs, what is
the problem you tried to fix here?

Are there any TTYs that support :box? None of the platforms I tested locally on do, they instead just ignore the :box aspect of any face.

Updated patches attached.

  -- MJF