Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 10:45:28 -0500

>> You'd still have the downside that the general bookmarks include all the
>> other non-directory bookmarks, so maybe it's not a good idea anyway.
>> [ I'm not using bookmarks very much, so my intuition here is poor.  ]
> Why would that be a downside?

That you can have name conflicts between the diredc and other bookmarks,
and that when selecting a diredc bookmark you'd have to see all those
other bookmarks which might make it more timeconsuming to find the
bookmark you're after.

For the first problem, I don't have a good solution.
For the second, I think this actually hints at a need for the generic
bookmark-selection functionality to offer a way to first select a *type*
of bookmark and only then pick a name among the remaining candidates.

[ And of course, in the absence of such generic support in bookmark.el,
  diredc could do it on its own by offer a command which pre-filters
  the list of bookmarks to only include those which refer to
  directories.  ]

        Stefan