Re: "Asynchronous Requests from Emacs Dynamic Modules"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "Asynchronous Requests from Emacs Dynamic Modules"
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 18:39:55 -0400

> Does anyone know of the best way to handle this?
> Perhaps the module interface should be expanded to handle this situation?

Most likely, we need some way for a module to "raise a flag" which then
causes the main Lisp thread to get back to the module.

Maybe the best way to do that is for the module to create a ELisp
"process" object with a corresponding file handle (probably a fifo, with
one end used by the ELisp process object and the other end used by the
module), so when the module needs to run an async request, it would
write to the fifo, and then the process's `process-filter` would call
the module back to actually process the async request.

        Stefan