Re: Relevance of `baud-rate' in the 2020s?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Relevance of `baud-rate' in the 2020s?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 10:21:30 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> In my remote corner of the world, I sometimes have periods of time
> that Internet crawls at 3KB/sec.  If I need to use Emacs on a remote
> machine during that time, this "obsolete" mode is very useful, because
> SSH sends more than just the characters I type.

Thanks for explaining.  It wasn't obvious to me that there still existed
connections where this could be useful.  Now that I think about it, I
should probably have realized this.

Please forgive my attempt at being funny.

> If "baud-rate" is what bothers you, we can augment the name or
> documentation to explain when this is useful and why.

It could be useful, to avoid that others are left wondering like me.
OTOH, anyone can now search the emacs-devel archives and find your
explanation.