Re: Proposal to include obligatory PGP verification of packages from any

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal to include obligatory PGP verification of packages from any repository
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 17:25:21 -0400

>> > It would be good to implement the policy.
>> I don't know what that means (neither "the policy" nor "implement").
> Rules of maintenance simply said:

So by "implement" you mean: write it in the doc that describes the ELPA
protocol?

> - that every request to any ELPA goes over SSL connection, to totally
>   disable non-SSL connections to archives.  Many countries spy on their
>   citizens, and in many of those countries citizens are using
>   encryption features, even it could be illegal to use encryption.  By
>   using non-SSL connection or allowing such, possibility is there that
>   user get in danger of life.

The part I don't understand here is "or allowing such".  I see the
danger of using a non-encrypted connection but not the danger of
allowing such.

>> > There are ways to verify package authenticity,
>> How?  What does "package authenticity" mean?
>> Do you get to see which key signed which package?
> I skip this, I am sure you know it.

No, I don't, that's why I asked.  More specifically, from where I sit,
I don't see much difference between the way Debian does it and the way
GNU ELPA does it.  And as a Debian user I don't know how to "easily
verify" nor "know by which key".

>> > Vasilij pointed out how it should be done.  Verifications in Debian or
>> > Archlinux how I see it, happen in real time during installation and
>> > that is by default.
>> Right, just as we do with GNU ELPA, AFAICT.
> It is not by default surprisingly to me.

It is by default in my book.

> I had to turn on the option to have packages verified for signatures.

I think those users who posted questions about signature verification
failures back when we changed to a new key are evidence to the contrary.

>> The problem is not to create signatures (which we do on our own machines
>> where we can easily make sure PGP is installed) but to verify them.
> Maybe gnutls offers that API, I cannot know technically, I could see
> the API is there.

Patch welcome (as long as it doesn't end up reimplementing part of GPG).

        Stefan