Re: Enforcing TLS for GNU ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Enforcing TLS for GNU ELPA
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 18:30:17 -0400

> Some time ago I've contributed a change to a certain package
> repository's webserver setup that responds to http:// requests with a
> 301 redirect to the https:// version.  Should the same be done for GNU
> ELPA?  Why/why not?

I'd vote for no: I'm happy to encourage the use of `https` but that
would prevent access over `http` which doesn't seem like
a friendly choice.

I'm not sure what would be the benefits (and for whom).

> - There's still Windows users who do not have an installation with the
>   gnutls libraries, despite the strong suggestion to download it for the
>   full experience.

We could emit a disapproving message from package.el when gnutls is
unavailable (same thing for PGP, incidentally).

        Stefan