Best way to sync package versions between Emacs and GNU ELPA?

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Best way to sync package versions between Emacs and GNU ELPA?
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 12:41:28 +0300

The 'modus-operandi' and 'modus-vivendi' themes are included in Emacs.
They also exist as separate/standalone packages on GNU ELPA.  The
version in Emacs is 0.13.0, while GNU ELPA currently has 0.12.0.  The
packages were available in GNU ELPA before being added to Emacs.

To update GNU ELPA, I have to contact its maintainer and ask them to
fetch the files from my git repository and push them to elpa.git.  While
to update the Emacs files, I need to open a bug report and attach a
patch.  Please refer to bug#43944 for an example.

My question to the developers: is there some way to reduce the workload
on all sides, while ensuring parity between the two sources?

The three files currently in Emacs that I would like to have in GNU ELPA:

./doc/misc/modus-themes.texi
./etc/themes/modus-operandi-theme.el
./etc/themes/modus-vivendi-theme.el

Please note that each theme is its own package on GNU ELPA, per my
request.  Though the new, yet-to-be-synced manual is common between
them.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards,
Protesilaos