Re: Behavior of input method -- crdt.el

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: Behavior of input method -- crdt.el
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:34:48 +0000

>> Now the peers are inconsistent.
>
> Why?  Why isn't the exact same erroneous erase+insert propagated to the
> other peers?
No, it seems that the input method secretly change buffer text
without calling *-change-functions.

I’ve figured a hack already, that still allows real time remote changes
to apply.

The input method is using an overlay
to mark “characters pending translation” and I just need to push
the overlay forward. Surprisingly, "secretly change buffer text
without calling *-change-functions” itself is not a problem because
I store CRDT-ID in buffer itself, so I just need to skip them during
ID search. It *will* be a problem, I imagine, if CRDT is implemented
as a separate library because it will shift all the buffer position after
that! In that case the only solution will be to block remote edit during
using input method — which make it not very real time.