Re: Patch: Two stage build for CI

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Patch: Two stage build for CI
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 10:01:43 +0200

Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Anand,

> Many a times it's easier to check results from CI for either compile
> or test failure. Hence, I've broken the build into two stages.

Thanks for this. In general, I agree with you. However, your patch has
some problems:

- It takes even more time after a change, because the compilation is
  not extracted from the tests, but it runs additionally. Better would
  be, to reuse compilation artifacts in the test stage, instead of
  compilation again.

- Consequently, we would need for every test stage entry a corresponding
  build stage entry. And it would also be great, if the compilation
  related to test-filenotify-gio could reuse artifacts from the
  compilation related to test-all.

- You call only "make", not "make bootstrap".

- There are no only: and except: clauses. For example, if somebody just
  changes etc/NEWS, we don't need to run any CI.

Best regards, Michael.