Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 00:21:57 -0400

  > Of course, I completely understand and agre that  Emacs should
  > prioritize free systems, but in case of resource avialable why not use
  > it?

Depending on what resource it is, and how it would be used, there may
or may not be a reason not to use it.

  > do believe if Elisp
  > via Emacs let one do some cool visual stuff, like programming some
  > graphics, and doing drawing in the editor would make it more useful and
  > more efficient. Also I see it as a one brick in making Emacs more
  > popular. I personally think it would be super cool to see Emacs do 3D
  > with Elisp,

Would this be a feature that works only if there is nonfree software
in your system load?

Implementing such a feature would turn Emacs into an inducement for
people to choose systems with nonfree software in them.  We must not
do that!  So we cannot include such a feature.

In other words, we must have a policy of not enhancing nonfree software.

However, the thinkpagds that we can use do have some acceleration.
If your feature works usably on an X200 or T400 type machine,
then it is ok.

--
Dr Richard Stallman