Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 12:59:47 +0000

A suggestion: would it not be better to include a version of GNU Unifont in Emacs?

Including a font with Emacs is problematic, since installing a font requires system-wide actions.

PDF readers use the fonts embedded in PDF files, so I would guess that Emacs could use a built-in font (without installing it).

(Personally, I think Unifont is an ugly font, with many character glyphs completely illegible, and distributing is with Emacs will only cause us look unprofessional. But that's my personal view.)

It is an ugly font indeed, the point is only to use it in place of the (even more ugly) boxes with a hex code. I think it is ugly "by design", it aims at a very broad coverage without becoming too large.