Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Mingde (Matthew) Zeng
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 01:17:54 -0400

> Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it doesn't currently support
> setting slices, inverting the pdf colors, or synctex.

You can invert PDF by pressing "i" or set it globally with `(eaf-setq
eaf-pdf-dark-mode "true")` (details and other customization options can be
found in [1]).
You're right about EAF doesn't support setting slices or synctex, but it could
be implemented in the future. ;-)

> It's not clear to me how one would go about doing that? There's the
> fact that Qt is C++ based and that AFAIU it relies on the window
> manager to behave properly in order to be placed in the right place.

Where to draw the box of the graphic content (QGraphicsView) is entirely
determined by a Lisp function. I can imagine a similar function that displays
the box similar to lsp-ui popup doc, then IMO that's a way to embed something
into Emacs buffer. However if we want the text to move out of the way so that
it's not overlapping with QGraphicsView, it would require additional effort of
modifying Emacs' code.
If you want, you can have a look at the architectural overview in the EAF wiki
[2] that might help your understanding of EAF's design.

> I'm not a huge fan of Qt or C++ which has caused me to shy away from
> EAF. Also correct me if wrong, but it doesn't look like EAF has a path
> forward to running on wayland.

That's alright. EAF should support wayland now, though we do not have a lot of
people who use EAF on wayland that come back and provide us feedback. I
personally use KDE and don't have many chances to test EAF on Wayland or other
DE/WM.

Matthew

[1] EAF Wiki - Customization:
https://github.com/manateelazycat/emacs-application-framework/wiki/Customization