Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 22:07:17 -0400

> I didn't mean the code that actually draws the plot the, but rather the
> computation that was run to generate the data that the plot is displaying as
> in principle that could be very expensive, which is why I was talking about
> having to cache the data that the plot is working from.

Sometimes, people who have worked on the code for a long time (like
myself) get "stuck in a rut" and fail to see how a different approach
could come with all kinds of strong advantages which makes it worthwhile
(despite the many downsides that we can foresee and which you luckily
can't see as clearly).

So I encourage you to try the approach you imagine, and see where it
leads you.  It will have significant shortcomings, most likely, but that
doesn't mean it can't be tremendously useful and successful.  Just be
aware of the fact that it may also turn out to be just not
very satisfactory.

        Stefan