Re: master 2a7488d: Add support for displaying short documentation for f

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: master 2a7488d: Add support for displaying short documentation for function groups
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 10:59:54 +0300

>> I have pondered a year ago about doing something like this,
>> but based on Info and/or HTML, i.e. to generate Info nodes with
>> functions listed by groups in separate nodes (possibly using HTML format),
>> so e.g. going to (info "(shortdoc) Buffer")
>> could display an Info node with a menu of related functions,
>> where nodes could be navigated using Info keys.
>> Does this make sense?
>
> I don't immediately see anything to be gained by using Info mode here --
> it just seems like a complication.  What would the advantages be?

Some advantages of using Info mode:

1. Info navigation keys and commands are available for navigation:
   Info-next, Info-prev, Info-up, Info-top-node, Info-follow-nearest-node, ...

2. Info addressing scheme, so e.g. such reference (info "(shortdoc) Buffer")
   could link documents, or be sent by mail, and like URL could be visited,
   Info-goto-node does the right thing to visit such generated Info nodes;

3. Info searching and indexing capabilities all should work with generated
nodes;