Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:51:03 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 22:20:15 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:02:55 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > Seeing as how a minibuffer often has a strong association with its frame
> > (e.g., C-x C-f opens a buffer in the same frame it was invoked from),
> > this shifting of minibuffers from one frame to another is confusing.

> Is it?

It is (or was) to me.  Seeing it for the first time, a user wouldn't
know whether the C-x C-f would open the buffer in the current frame or
the one she issued the command from.

> It makes sure the minibuffer is on the selected frame, which is
> natural in many/most use cases.

It only does this sometimes.  If the command using the minibuffer is
given on frame F1, and the selected frame becomes F2, the minibuffer
sometimes moves, sometimes doesn't, depending on what the user does.
For example, C-s in F2 doesn't usually move the minibuffer, but it will
if you use C-x 8 RET.  This is inconsistent.

> Forcing the user to go back to a non-selected frame _is_ IMO confusing
> and inconvenient, at least in the usual cases.

I don't find it so.  The frame you complete a minibuffer command in
should be the one you started it from.  IMNSHO.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).