Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:22:11 +0000

Hi Alan,

In recent versions of master (and, I believe the emacs-27 branch) frames steal eachothers' minibuffers.

By this I mean:
(i) Have two frames open displaying buffers.
(ii) On frame F1 do C-x b.  This leaves a minibuffer open there.
(iii) Move to F2.
(iv) Do C-x 8 RET <enter some character>.

F1's minibuffer is now on F2.  This is bad.

As I told you a few days ago, this is not a new Emacs behavior, it dates back to at least Emacs 24 (and probably earlier, I did not check). IMO this behavior is not problematic: the minibuffer has moved to F2, but when you press RET after choosing the buffer you want, the buffer switch happens in F1, where it should happen. And on a TTY, Emacs even goes back to F1.