Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 22:13:53 +0000

Naoya Yamashita <conao3@gmail.com> writes:

> From my point of view the syntax of use-package is confusing.
> For example, :when is naturally designed to evaluate a given
> S-expression and is only enabled when non-nil is returned, but
> :disabled is not.  That is, (use-package flymake :disabled t) and
> (use-package flymake :disabled nil) will be converted to nil,
> respectively.  This is unnatural.  Also, :when can be a free
> S-expression, but not :disabled.

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying that, in use-package, the
existence of `:disabled' means that the package will not be loaded even
if its value is specified to be nil?

> Other keyword, :mode and :hook specify a cons cell, but :custom
> specifies a list.  This can be confusing for newcomers.

Could you show an example of this?

> Both issue are solved in my leaf.

Do you see any other major benefits of leaf over use-package?  Or the
other way around?

Could you explain why I would want to use one or the other (as a user)?

Could you explain why Emacs would want to include one or the other (as
developers)?

I believe that the answers to the above questions would help improve
everyone's understanding of the issues involved.