Re: Feature request: CMake-mode

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Feature request: CMake-mode
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 04:49:34 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

>>> There is a package in melpa which is very poorly maintained by the
>>> cmake community.
>>>
>>> https://melpa.org/packages/cmake-mode-20190710.1319.el
>>> https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/blob/master/Auxiliary/cmake-mode.el
>>
>>And you think that we would do better? :-)
>>
> The package seems not really very maintained.

[snip]

>>> Could we consider to add a native cmake mode to vanilla or contact the
>>> Kitware people to add this one to elpa? Or in the worst case to change
>>> the name of their package in order to release the name and add a GPL
>>> versioned one to elpa?
>>
>>CMake releases new versions quite often, so an elpa package (not to
>>mention a vanilla one) would soon be outdated unless someone (TM)
>>commits to keeping it up to date.
>>
> That's true. But actually the Kitware file supports only the most basic
> keywords. Most of the new features, and syntax are not included there
> any way.

So are you requesting to include Kitware's incomplete cmake-mode.el into
Elpa/Emacs or to develop a new mode (possibly based on Kitware's)? If
people is not contributing enough to Kitware's mode what makes you think
that once included into Emacs (with its added requirements about signing
papers, etc) it would be better?