Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 12:49:39 -0400

>> >From what I understood of your comments, you seem to claim that local
>> users choosing different names in step #2 would cause a problem?
> No.  The problem I have in mind is that the user might decide to give
> a package some keyword when first installed, but then the user might
> wish to have the same package in another setup-KEYWORD.el file as
> well, because it is useful as part of another group of packages.

For that there would be tags.  There's no sane way to duplicate the
settings of a package in two or more different places, which is why we
can't use the "tags" for that, so we'd introduce a second
classification which would come with the restriction that for this
classification a given package can only belong to one "category".

We already have some of that in our `lisp` subdirectory where some
packages are placed in `emacs-lisp` and others in `vc`, ...

        Stefan