Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Modernize frame-title-format: "%b - GNU Emacs"
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 14:52:48 +0000

The display engine calls the function which produces the frame's title very frequently. You have just made redisplay much slower due to this call (abbreviate-file-name is a large and complex function, and you call Lisp on top of that), and caused most redisplay cycles prfoduce more garbage. Is it really worth it?

Thanks, I didn't know it was called very frequently. I think it's most definitely not worth slowing down redisplay. We should probably replace it with the "%b" we had before.

I'm not sure, but I think using `buffer-file-truename' (as I did in my proposal) would eliminate the problems Eli mentioned. It is a (buffer-local) variable, and it is set only once when a buffer is created.