Re: vertical fido-mode

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: vertical fido-mode
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 02:05:13 +0200

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 02:15:36AM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:

An alternative would be to use the same keys as used in web browsers
to navigate completions from the url input field where M-up and M-down
are used to display a list of completions and to navigate in completions,
without switching to the completions buffer.

yes, but this is what we have already in fido and the others somehow. I
wanted to keep things easier.

There are other keys that currently scroll the completions buffer as well:
M-PgUp, M-PgDown, M-C-v, S-M-C-v.

Yes, I know, but I shouldn't be able to change the TAB one. BTW in
terminal S-M-C-v conflicts with terminal yank.

I think whether to show/update completions only on demand or to show/update
them automatically on input should be customizable with a new option.

This is something simple to implement, but again, this something more in
the icompletes-ivy-ido experience.

The only addition was the jump to completions with a TAB when all
completions are shown.

The existing key that already jumps to completions is PgUp (M-v).

Yes but somehow I found more "intuitive" to do it with tab.

And exit completions with C-g like in zsh.

The existing key to exit completions is ESC (delete-completion-window).

Actually it is ESC ESC ESC. C-g was unbind in the Completions
buffer. Doing C-g (go return to minibuffer) and again C-g (to exit
minibuffer) is shorter and more intuitive than q C-g or ESC ESC ESC.

But don't worry this kind of changes I understand they require
discussion in the ML and are only kind of "proposals" to see reactions.

Do you think it worth doing a stronger change?

I think that adding more logic to the existing key TAB is too strong
change: for example, when the user doesn't notice that the completions
buffer already displays all completions, types TAB again, and it switches
to the completions buffer contrary to user wishes.

I agree, here. I just ran out of ideas to make it simple and "Intitive"

OTOH, the feature of using TAB to switch to the completions buffer
doesn't work when the list of completions is too big and
not all completions are displayed.

Yes this was intentional to avoid changing the defaults.