Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 21:34:25 +0200

>>> "Edd" == Emacs development discussions <Gregory> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer:
   >>
   >> Mistaken not, but I should add one scenario that you did not cover.
   >> Users of academic institutions[1] found them self from one day to
   >> the other, with their email accounts transferred to G-Suite (that
   >> this the professional Gmail service), without doing anything at all.
   >>

   > These users are facing a much simpler problem.  They only need to ask
   > the G Suite administrator to approve their app, and it will be
   > immediately approved for all users of the domain.  Given that they did
   > not choose to use G Suite, I believe asking this and using the app key
   > provided by the administrator does not violate the GNU ethical
   > principles.

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2019/12/less-secure-apps-oauth-google-username-password-incorrect.html

I am not sure that this is correct:

it says, see point 3.

    1. If you use other apps on iOS or MacOS that access your G Suite
       account information through only a password, most access issues
       can be resolved by removing then re-adding your account. When you
       add it back, make sure to select Google as the account type to
automatically use OAuth.

    2. For any other LSA, contact your admin or ask the developer of the
       app you are using to start supporting OAuth.

    3. *If the developer won’t update their app, you will need to switch
       to a client that offers OAuth.*