Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 14:02:39 +0100

On Wednesday, 12 Aug 2020 at 14:40, Arthur Miller wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>> The long term solution is your own domain etc.
> Domain itself is maybe not enought, you probably think of running own
> mailserver/website etc?
>
> Running own server requires resources and knowledge most people don't
> have, a 24/7 machine that has to be secured in a proper way.

Sorry, I should have been a little more verbose.  Yes, you are perfectly
right: the domain itself is not enough.  It needs to be hosted somewhere
and hosting is a lot of work.

I wouldn't intend to host myself; there are plenty of hosting servers
out there.  The point I was trying to make is that you can then move
your email from one host to another without having to change email
address.  It's this latter aspect that makes us so vulnerable to moves
by Google/MS/et al. to restrict access.

I have no idea what I will do about my work email (which I use for
newsgroups) as that is hosted by MS and they also are getting rid of
direct IMAP/POP access later this year, I believe.  I cannot imagine
handling the volume of email I get without the adaptive scoring,
intelligent splitting, and full keyboard control that gnus
provides.  Hey hum.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.7 on Debian bullseye/sid