Re: Anyone knows "ee"?

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Anyone knows "ee"?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 08:03:36 +0200

Stefan writes:

> The other day, Emacs (Gnus) decided for some reason to display a photo
> by passing it to `ee`.
>
> Does anyone know what that is?  I couldn't find any trace of
> it anywhere.

I think it's an older GNOME image viewer called "Electric Eyes":

  "Electric Eyes

   Red Hat Advanced Development Labs. Electric Eyes is a new,
   Linux/GNOME-based image viewer by The Rasterman (who's perhaps better
   known for his spectacularly fancy Enlightenment desktop). It is also
   one of the prototype applications for Imlib, an X-based imaging
   toolkit described in Chapter 16, “Other Libraries and Concluding
   Remarks”.

   http://www.labs.redhat.com/ee.shtml";

   ·
https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/png-the-definitive/9781565925427/11_chapter-03.html#ch03-004

  "@ ee
  category: GNOME-apps
  sdesc: "The Electric Eyes image viewer application."
  ldesc: "The ee package contains the Electric Eyes image viewer for the GNOME
   desktop environment.  Electric Eyes is primary an image viewer, but it
   also allows many types of image manipulations.  Electric Eyes can
   handle almost any type of image."
  requires: gtk+ imlib gnome-libs libintl2 XFree86-lib-compat"

   · http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/install/release/ee/setup.hint

   · https://archive.org/details/tucows_31588_Electric_Eyes

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Clear? Huh! Why a four-year-old child could               Adam Sjøgren
  understand this report. Run out and find me a        asjo@koldfront.dk