Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Clive Tovero
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 22:49:24 -0400

> Have you ever heard of SDFs? used in guile’s libfive and Doug Moen’s curv (both FP)?

My Common Lisp program Tovero uses Libfive as the backend for modeling and *is* SDF (signed distance field) based. I also wrote the direct Guile viewer for Libfive, which can be used under in a Geiser REPL in Emacs, as I mentioned in my previous post:

>> I have written a demo viewer in Guile running under Emacs with Geiser to show more proof of concept:
>> https://gitlab.com/kavalogic-inc/inspekt3d

This replaces Libfive's Studio editor.

> I recall about Emacsy, a guile project about furnishing a standardized
emacs-like application framework

Thanks--I hadn't seen this, and seems like a promising idea.

My other project project, Clive, provides a interface toolkit from SGI's Open Inventor (used in FreeCAD), for direct 3D interaction outside of Emacs. Open Inventor is a quite powerful scene graph system. My website on common-lisp.net doesn't do it justice--and I need to do more demos of it--but I have been extensively modifying it and haven't had time.

My understanding is that Dylan's Deuce has enhancements to GNU Emacs' buffer model which facilitates multimedia embedded directly in the editor, and is derived from ZWEI--an older Lisp based Emacs. It would be fun to get it running someday:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/gregs/info-dylan-archive-html-2001/msg00763.html

QEmacs is interesting too--it can embed videos using FFMpeg (developed by Bellard too!) directly in an editor window. It has C based functions based on a subset of GNU Emacs, which might be fairly straightforward to wrap in Guile or other Scheme implementation for a lightweight Emacs system.