Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Cesar Crusius
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 10:02:40 -0700

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > The person you want to reach out to is probably
>   > dvratil@kde.org. Here's a relevant blog post from him, about how
>   > he fixed the Kontact Oauth2 problem:
>
>   > https://www.dvratil.cz/2019/08/kontact-google-integration-issue/
>
> Lars, is this something you can do?
>
>   > My auth-source-xoauth2 package "avoids" that by having every user
>   > do the API key dance with Google, and as a result is rather hard
>   > to setup.
>
> Aside from the inconvenience, is there anything about this we simply
> cannot ask users to do?  Does it require accepting terms that are
> unjust and not required for using Gmail itself?

I went through the process a long time ago, so I can't answer that with
certainty. The current legalese is in the pages here:

https://developers.google.com/terms

Somebody with a keener legal eye could look at it, but there are certainly
more/different terms there.

As an aside, it is worth noting that my package is not Gmail-specific. It could
be used for the Reddit example given before via similar means: register a
project/app in Reddit, get the keys, etc.

The crux here is that there needs to be an app - their intent is that the
software producer (in this case an "Emacs" or "Gnus") registers an "official"
app, and the app manages its secrets in a way compliant with their terms (which
we already know is pretty hard for OSS projects).

--
Cesar Crusius