Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 16:33:55 -0400

On Thu, 28 May 2020 13:37:19 -0400 Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > What does C-g mean?
>
> For me, the intuition is a sound that I find hard to transcribe into
> ASCII but could be something like "ghuhuh!" with the accent on the
> second "u" and a good dose of frustration sprinkled throughout ;-)

And besides, it doesn't matter where C-g comes from. Thousands and
thousands of people memorized it. I memorized it in 1983. My fingers
will not do anything else at this point.

Any other key sequence would, regardless, be just as arbitrary and
capricious, and not any easier to learn for newcomers.

It is the nature of a system like Emacs that the learning curve is
extremely steep, but once you have crossed it, you work far more
efficiently than you did before you assaulted it.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                perry@piermont.com