Re: Ligatures (was: Unify the Platforms: Cairo+FreeType+Harfbuzz Everywh

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Ligatures (was: Unify the Platforms: Cairo+FreeType+Harfbuzz Everywhere (except TTY))
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 15:33:59 -0400

On 22/05/2020 15.01, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 10:34:06 -0400
>>
>>> I was talking about ligatures made from letters, not symbols.
>>
>> But then how do you handle symbol ligatures?
>
> By using suitable regular expressions.  E.g., you could take the list
> of ligatures in that FiraCode site and convert them into a regexp or a
> set of regexps.

Thanks.  I don't understand why we need to do this, but if we have technical
limitations that force us to add those regular expressions then maybe it's not
the end of the world (I understand that there is value in being able to
selectively disable ligatures, using regexps or something else, but it seems
surprising that we'll need extra Emacs-specific work for each and every font
that includes ligatures).