Changelog scripts

From: Vasilij Schneidermann
Subject: Changelog scripts
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 20:50:00 +0200

Hello,

I've found that the gcc developers set up a set of client- and server-side
scripts for Git [1] which verify commits for correct changelog format usage and
generate changelog files from all commits.  IIRC there has been copious
discussion on the merits of the latter before with no clear conclusion, however
I believe that validating commits would be helpful, especially for new
contributors.  In case the gcc scripts are not considered good enough, perhaps
the vc-dwim tools [2] or some existing Emacs Lisp code [3] could do.

I've run into this particular hurdle numerous times and would prefer Git to
yell at me instead of the maintainer reviewing my patch :)

Vasilij

[1]: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-May/545662.html
[2]: https://www.gnu.org/software/vc-dwim/
[3]: lisp/vc/add-log.el