Re: [elpa] master 2a29130: Make debbugs install a handler in browse-url-

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 2a29130: Make debbugs install a handler in browse-url-default-handlers.
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 11:02:02 -0400

> I don't know -- I find it really annoying when loading a file changes
> the way Emacs behaves, but perhaps that's OK for packages?  Is there a
> policy here?

The policy is that loading a file should normally not affect Emacs's
behavior, yes.  *BUT* that just pushes the question to what we mean by
"affect Emacs's behavior".  After all, even just defining a new variable
or function *does* change Emacs's behavior (and in non-trivial ways in
some cases, such as the `eshell/<foo>` functions or the
`vc-<backend>-<operation>` functions).

So there's some finer judgment going on.
Adding oneself to `auto-mode-alist` is considered as acceptable.
I think adding oneself to `browse-url-default-handlers` falls into the
same category.

        Stefan