Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre - 1981-ish version

From: andres . ramirez
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre - 1981-ish version
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 04:51:57 +0000

Hi.

    Stefan> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
    >> > Richard> Perhaps we should make a page and a canned response,
    >> "Check the Emacs > Richard> manuals before you believe what
    >> other people's web site say about > Richard> Emacs."  And
    >> publicize that in lots of ways.
    >>
    >> > These are not "other people's web sites", theyʼre the Emacs
    >> manuals on > gnu.org, just for a different version of Emacs
    >> from the one the user > is running.
    >>
    >> That is unfortunate.  Does anyone have a concrete idea for how
    >> we could improve this?

    Stefan> AFAICT, we provide only one version of the manual on
    Stefan> gnu.org.  Maybe we should have a copy for each version,
    Stefan> with pointers between them.  That way, a user could still
    Stefan> be reading the wrong manual, but at least has a chance to
    Stefan> notice the mistake.

What about putting something like this on every node of|on the online html
manual:

You can evaluate this from within emacs itself for getting the right copy for
your emacs version:
(info "(emacs) File Variables")

Above is equivalent to:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/File-Variables.html