Re: Ligatures

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Ligatures
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 23:47:59 -0400

> It might work in some simple cases, but I wonder what gains would that
> give the users.  It sounds very unusual to me to do something like
> that, and I don't think we ever heard any such complaints until now,
> although prettify-symbols-mode exists for several years.

For things like `→`, I think of `->` as an "encoding" used to stay
within the confines of ASCII whereas `→` is what is really "meant".
So when I see `→` I'm not likely to want to "look inside" and am instead
happy if `C-p` skips over both characters at once (except when I want
to change it to `=>`, of course).

In contrast I don't think of "ffi" as the ASCII encoding of `ffi`.
Instead I think of `ffi` as just a more refined way to draw "ffi" and I'd
find it odd for `C-p` to skip over those three chars.

So, the right behavior depends on the intention, AFAICT.

Since 99.99% of my Emacs windows is made up of monospace text,
I probably won't be too significantly affected either way.

        Stefan